Since this is a profession-oriented programme, the Department will work closely with commerce and industry as well as other relevant sectors locally and in the Pearl River Delta Region to secure job placements for graduates. Other careers suitable for graduates would include such positions as the administrative grade in the civil service; officers in international banks; administrators and executives in consulates of major nations represented in Hong Kong; trainees in major publishers in Hong Kong or even overseas.
“My exchange to Potsdam University in Germany in Year 2 and internship in Year 3 have provided me with valuable experiences, professional and interpersonal skills. Before I graduated, I already found a job in an Estate Management company.”
-Rainbow Lam Bo Bo
Graduate, Class of 2016
Summary of the Results of Graduate Employment Survey
The English Department conducted a brief graduate employment survey in September 2016 for the EPC graduates.
The Department collected the following data: present status (employed, unemployed and further studies), present job nature and position of the graduates. The results of the graduate employment survey are summarized as follows:
Degrees in English give you opportunities in a variety of work environments
- Commercial Firms and Organisations need people with good language skills
- Advertising and Event Management Companies – communication skills are vital
- Legal Firms – English is key
- Publishing Houses – superior English is greatly valued
- The Media, including TV and Radio Stations and News Agencies, function in English to a large extent
- Banks, Insurance Companies and Financial Organisations — need graduates with excellent English
- The Executive and Administrative Grade in the Civil Service need graduates with strong English and well-rounded skills